Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Belonging Is an Inside Job


I recently attended a workshop with what I had hoped would be my tribe, women working the same program for food addiction. Throughout the day, though, I felt separate and very critical of the participants. By the time I left, I was bereft: if I don’t belong here, where do I belong?

I’ve left myself vulnerable to feeling excluded because I’ve thought belonging depended on someone else’s welcome, invitation, and desire to know me. I’ve come home from many a gathering where no one asked me a question, convinced I didn’t fit in, when I could have more generously interpreted their silence as shyness or a different set of rules for social interactions.

 I see now that I typically enter a social setting looking for evidence that I don’t belong, and of course whatever we seek we find. Even overt assurances that I am welcome are fleeting when I’m determined to find the ways that I’m better or worse. Mostly I’ve used quite superficial standards of appearance and weight to determine my ranking. I’ve bought the social lie that thin equals happy, so that particular gathering of women, who were mostly heavier yet clearly happier, jarred loose that old idea. To feel like I belong, I need to look for similarities, and when I’m aware of differences, to become curious rather than judgmental.

Instead of waiting to feel happy once I’ve achieved a certain goal (book publication, number on the scale, number of readers, etc.) I need to first belong to and with myself. This is tricky because my self-critical pathways are so strong, that I’m mostly in a state of feeling like a project in need of perfecting, which bleeds into every encounter I have. (For instance, I’m currently “working” on stopping caffeine and recreational shopping.) When I don’t belong anywhere, I know it’s time to up my meditation, which, for me, is the primary practice that soothes that critical faculty. When we meditate, barriers and boundaries the ego has created for protection diminish, soften, and go into the background as my inner being comes into the foreground.

Perhaps that’s why sitting down to meditate feels like coming home. The 12 Steps and 12 Traditions says, “Perhaps one of the greatest rewards of meditation and prayer is the sense of belonging that comes to us” (105). Sitting with the intention of being in conscious contact with a power greater than myself, with my inner being, and in connection with all souls striving to be loving and kind may not alone change a world that demonstrates indifference and cruelty each day.  But my desire to be connected to a larger goodness that is also within me is the soil from which helpful public actions grow.

When I even glimpse that I belong in the most cosmic sense of the word, I breathe easier, become clear-minded, and grow more tolerant. No longer am I awaiting a welcome from someone who may be struggling today. What would happen if I made a decision to belong, starting today with this human body, just as it is?


No comments:

Post a Comment