Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Power of Invitation


 

Most every transformative event, workshop, or experience I have had along the spiritual path started with an invitation from someone I knew.  Beginning with participating in the Delphi Methodist youth group because my church didn’t have one up until last week’s silent Buddhist meditation retreat, I have had a steady supply of expanding experiences I could never have found on my own. I’ve had my heart blown open chanting at a Hindu ashram, come to new understanding of the Creator in a Native American sweat lodge, and discovered some difficult truths at a Benedictine Monastery. I was transformed living with a Muslim family for a summer, re-oriented through three workshops with Robert Kiyosaki, and have been tutored on daily decisions through Abraham-Hicks.  Almost weekly my experience in 12 Step meetings opens my heart, as well.

This history of seeking truth wherever it appears has shown me that there are many paths to the deep heart. Maybe I’ve taken so many routes because I never had children, and most people discover love, kindness, and the power of connection through raising a family.  For me, someone’s suggestion, invitation, or nudge was the stepping stone to another arena for discovery and growth.

So how often do I invite others to something sacred or significant? It certainly is vulnerable to ask someone to share an experience you find profound. What if they don’t? Yet I am so grateful for those who risked my rejection by inviting me to so many wonderful experiences, including the adventure of marriage. As I head off to Santa Fe for my third retreat this month, I want  to be on the look out with a ready “yes” for the next invitation to open, receive, and become more alive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment