Saturday, December 17, 2016

Moments from Christmas Past


                                                                                               
                                                                      ***

In the 1960s, Dayton’s department store in downtown Minneapolis had a shopping area set up just for kids.  When I was five, my mother listed my gift recipients, put money in an envelope, and sent me off with my personal shopper, who led me through a screened off area where I selected presents.  I bought ladybug soaps for my mom and watched as they were carefully wrapped and labeled.  The story goes that on Christmas morning, I rushed past my own Barbies and games toward the presents for others I couldn’t wait to give.  My mother kept those soaps, unused and dusty, until she died.

                                                                       ***

When I was nine I got a record player, a brown plastic case that snapped open like a suitcase to reveal the turntable.  Dad took me to Delphi’s  Wynkoop Pharmacy to pick out an album, my very first.    It was 1967 and I selected a compilation album with “Hey Jude” and “123 Red Light.”  That year Dad filmed a home movie of all of us dancing in the living room. I looked self-conscious but happy.

                                                                         ***

Our newly reduced family sat on the floor around the Christmas tree, my sister, 12, myself 16, and mom.  My father had died two days earlier and we had a brief respite from the constant stream of visitors bringing their shock, grief, and casseroles to our door. Apparently people were staying home Christmas Day. We chose the presents from Aunt Mary to open—the best ones—first. Mom pulled out a pretty white shawl. “Where will I ever wear this now?” she asked with a crack in her voice.  It was the only time I saw her cry during that entire time.

***

My mother lay in the living room in a hospital bed, hooked up to oxygen at the highest setting. A fellow teacher came over to bring a Night Before Christmas book. “What day is it?” Mom asked. When told it was Christmas Eve, she said, “That’s a good day to go.”  Within a couple hours her breathing changed and she didn’t appear conscious.  Now in our forties, my sister and I stayed up all night talking to her, thanking her, assuring her we would be fine.  Toward morning Lori went to bed, exhausted.  A while later some movement caught my attention; Mom had raised her head, opened her eyes and was looking directly at me.  I shouted for Lori, who ran back and we each took her hand.  One tear rolled down her cheek as we also cried. Mom gave a shrug, sighed, and was gone. Light streamed into the window. It was 8:15 Christmas morning, the end of an era.

***


Brian and I call the boys into the living room to open presents. This family doesn’t take turns. Everyone tears into his own stash and thanks you are murmured. I’m not even sure what anyone gets. After 15 minutes,  I clean up the ribbons, boxes, and papers and stack each person’s gifts. Each year Brian writes a beautiful note to his sons. These cards do not contain money. They read them and say thanks but usually leave them, no sentimental scrapbooks for these young men. Still, they know their father loves them, and perhaps that I do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment