Saturday, December 3, 2016

Addiction--subtle and overt

Brian and I saw the film Manchester by the Sea last night, and as we were leaving this powerful movie about grief, he asked if I would recommend it to the alcoholics and addicts I work with.  After all, he said, it’s all about addiction.  His opinion baffled me because the movie didn’t strike me as being about addiction. And then we dissected it: the main character drank steadily, got into fights in bars, and the heartache at the center of the film was created by his drinking.

How had I missed that?  What picture of addiction do I have that precluded the centrality of it in this richly layered film?  The only thing I’ve come up with is that I’m now so used to stories about much harsher drug use that something as benign as 8 beers in 7 hours doesn’t strike me as excessive.  I’ve come to normalize this level of use because, after all, he was functioning. Or was he? The main character had no access to his emotions, no way to express them except when they erupted in violence. 

That’s what addiction does—cuts us off from the very thing that helps us reach for others, ask for help, and make a human connection.

I’ve been very interested in ambient addictions lately, the subtle, socially-sanctioned habits and activities that nonetheless keep me buffered from what’s going on internally and often in the world.  I’ve been noticing all the little ways I distract myself from reality to feel a bit more comfortable.  Lately it’s been novel-reading, and while I’ve read some wonderful books,  I’ve put down a couple mid-way after realizing they aren’t good enough to take up my time. 

I’d be better served phoning a friend, taking a walk, or simply looking out the window than filling my head with mediocre words and stories. But first I have to let go of the need to be productive, even in my spare time.


No comments:

Post a Comment