Sunday, October 16, 2016

What would a changed me look like?

I spent the last two days at a writing workshop with wonderful Karen Casey, best-selling author of 20+ books.  She gave a prompt, we wrote, we read, or not, and did it all over again.  I filled a notebook.

Here’s one of the prompts: “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leo Tolstoy.  Think about changing yourself. Who would we see?

My favorite response came from a participant who was 82 years old and wrote that she didn’t feel the need to change.  May I lean into this vision and arrive by 80!

Here’s my response:

I walk into a room excited to meet people, assuming they like me, and wondering who is going to be my new friend.

 I focus on others’ best physical qualities, see their inner spark, and encourage their stories.

I never criticize, so people feel at ease around me and are unusually funny and interesting because I laugh easily and accept them just as they are.   

I don’t keep score but trust the economy of gift and connection, knowing I’ll have plenty of time to talk and that I learn more by listening anyway.

I drink water mostly and occasional tea or decaf coffee—my energy is formidable and comes from spirit rather than caffeine.

 I publish most things I write and my blog is read by many.  I love revising and polishing and putting my thoughts out there and then moving onto the next.  I don’t check to see how many likes it got.

I spend as much time as possible outdoors and walk daily in the woods because the trees keep me sane.

My heart is capacious, welcoming, and warm.  Children and animals flock to me.

I’m humble, eager to be of service, and so financially secure that I tithe with ease.

I am calm, clear and kind, lean strong, and healthy.
 
My presence helps open others’ hearts, and most conversations are transformational for both of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment