Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Vacationing in Everyday Life



I’m in my second week of a new, half-time job, and my wise sponsor has invited me to honor the transition by not filling every spare moment.  My assignment is to notice how I spend time when I truly have choice and am listening.  

I love to sort and sift.  Now that we’ve brought every last thing over from the Golden Valley house, I spent time in the basement unpacking boxes and putting things where we can find them again. Surprisingly, I had the most fun in the work room, creating a place for hammers, another for screwdrivers, and one for plyers, using containers we already have.

I got my own office/writing space ordered.  I eliminated things from the floor and hung paintings—two oils by Veda Stanfield, a watercolor given to my mother when she retired, and the big piece I brought home from Ecuador simply because I couldn’t live without it. I took immense pleasure just sitting and enjoying this tidy, beautiful space.

I spent time in the yard. I set up the hammock and the chaise lounge that had been lying around and sat in them after work.  Consequently, I had two conversations with my next door neighbor, who I hadn’t yet met in six months. I had time to sweep the sidewalk, something I’ve wanted to do for a week now.  Given my new mode of acting on inspiration, I made the time, in my skirt and sandals, before work. 

I read a couple books, taking one to the pool and reading it in one sitting.  Patrick Rhone’s Enough is an inspiration for my own. His topic and voice kept me reading until the end.  Not pressuring myself to produce a book this week has been lovely and very freeing. Until I let that go,  I had no idea of the ever-present pressure to produce something extraordinary.

I walked, which I’ve wanted to do for years.  I walked before work on Monday. I walked after work because I was home before supper.  I strolled without thought of aerobic exercise, enjoying the flowers and looking at house numbers for ideas.  Just how do you put numbers in stucco?

And I’ve slept. Napping, going to bed early, getting up later all show me how in need of replenishment I’ve been.  More confirming information I’ve made the right move for me.

In short, I’m becoming the person I want to be, which I suspect is what happens on a vacation and can be incorporated into daily living, if I listen and move slowly enough.



1 comment:

  1. I love your writing and you certainly have been writing to my soul - thank you!!! where do I find your writing, any specific spot?
    Thanks for sharing - from one Delphi girl to another!!
    Kathy Fitch Hyman

    ReplyDelete