Thursday, September 17, 2015

Ingredients for a Sweet Life without Sugar


I’ve recently stopped eating sugar, again, because I like who I am when I don’t have sugar in my system and I’m not capable of occasionally just having a little. Sugar-free, I’m more patient, joyful, and kind, the person I really want to be. However, I’ve tried this many times since 1989, so I have to reframe “giving up” sugar into leaning into something better. How might I make every part of my day sweeter, which is what I wanted all along when I ate that third ice cream bar anyway, a sweet life.
1.       Wake up eager for the day. Be curious about who will cross my path. See everything as an opportunity to connect, all good, all the time. There are plenty of highlights to be had beyond food.

2.       Savor the food I prepare. Be it little or much, simple or complex, put it on a beautiful dish, clear the area, use a real napkin and enjoy.

3.       Move intentionally, stretch fully, breathe deeply, enjoy the emptiness, the fullness, flexibility or new awareness of some change. Celebrate my body's health and functionality rather than focus on appearance.

4.       Greet people with delight, true delight. Kick up my energy a notch, look them in the eye, stop moving when I greet them and really see them. Hug them if they’re open to that. Connection is food for the soul.

5.       Leave silence between words, activities, locations. Inhabiting a silence fully will help me transition seamlessly from one thing to another because I will be aware. Transitions are toughest when I’m not really there and I often used food to transition.

6.       Look at the sky, absorb sunshine, drink in natural beauty, appreciate architecture, look for some beauty in every scene to appreciate and the whole world brightens. These are the true treats of life.

7.       Act on a good idea as soon as possible. Trust the inspiration and take action, which widens the channel to perceive even more. Keeping forward momentum for a purpose makes eating a source of fuel rather than entertainment.

8.       Thank people for who they are, show them I appreciate them with a smile, light touch, laugh and encouragement. Coming from the best in me to the best in them is the tuneup I need.

9.       Give advice only when asked and only when it’s necessary (and most times it’s not needed for everyone has her own guidance).  I’ll be less tempted to give advice the more I’m following my own guidance.

10.   Take time each night to enjoy having a bed, sheets and a great mate.  Savor the times my heart was filled that day. That's a true dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment