Monday, August 10, 2015

A Chance to Wake Up


The other day I backed out of my garage and down the driveway, as I have several thousand times, only to scrape the stone wall that runs alongside.  The rear panel of my car looks like a bear took a swipe, and the length of the scratches indicates I didn’t notice right away. That’s because my attention was on a cd of  a conversation between two writers, and I was trying to figure out who was speaking.  The topic of their conversation:  mindfulness.  Ah, the irony.

I get little nudges and lessons in the most obvious ways.  Or maybe it’s that I finally pay attention when the point is so obvious.  It’s not enough to read about mindfulness. Apparently, I have to be mindful every waking minute.

There’s a line in the Big Book “The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it.”  It’s so tempting to talk a good game and live on autopilot, especially with activities I do often and with people I know well. In terms of my colleagues and my husband, I need to see them anew every day, share what I appreciate,  and be really present to who they are today.

The lessons for long-term recovery are also clear.  I can’t just go to meetings, call a sponsor, complete daily spiritual practices as if checking them off a list.  I don’t have the luxury to become complacent or do sobriety half-way. I have a daily reprieve “contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition,” and that requires daily nourishment, which I receive only when fully present.

Each day I have an invitation to wake up another degree. Let’s hope I don’t need to be scraped to experience that today.


No comments:

Post a Comment