Friday, January 11, 2019

The Tenderness of Transition



I just left a job I loved for 10 ½ years, at a company I admire and respect, the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation.  My work--leading spirituality groups and meeting individually with people--was fun, helpful and appreciated. So why leave?

 The pattern of my last five jobs has been 1) I'm content and competent where I am  2) the Universe taps me on the shoulder and points to something new 3) my innermost self feels drawn to apply 4) I get the job. This time,  I read an email,  drafted a response, applied, went through six assessments, two interviews, and am now a Coach and Program Delivery Associate for Bright Line Eating Solutions, an online company to help people lose weight and keep it off, founded by the brilliant  and lovable Susan Peirce Thompson.

I’ve moved from working with people recovering from addictions to alcohol and other drugs to those recovering from food addiction, albeit in varying degrees. And just as my own recovery was reinforced by working for a decade in the field, today I find myself in the middle of a community I’ve been a member of for two years, with an unprecedented level of support to work on my earliest addiction.

Getting “sober” with sugar is more challenging for me than was letting go of alcohol and other drugs because eating was the earliest way I learned to soothe myself.  And also because we live in a culture saturated with cues for bad food choices as well as free samples in many workrooms and offices.

Once again I’m learning new systems, getting to know new colleagues, and operating on a much bigger platform than ever before. The course I coach has over 3,000 registered, and while not every one of them will listen to every coaching call, a good number will.  Once again I get the chance to recognize I’m not going to do this perfectly, laugh at my mistakes, and remain teachable from all who cross my path.  I also know enough to double-up on those actions that nourish me physically and spiritually: phone calls, hot yoga, deep breaths, mindful cups of tea, more meetings, more meditation.

Life is a series of transitions. Right now I’m in a BIG one, and once again, I’m invited to deepen my connection to Source so I can hear guidance, have a better sense of timing, and remain calm. I’m grateful for this new opportunity, which builds, as all of our next steps do, on everything I’ve ever learned. Nothing is wasted. Everything is gift.

5 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. I love that the universe tapped you on the shoulder. I love how you say sugar was your 1st addiction and it soothes you. Me too. ❤️ I love that I am part of BLE with you. I love that I feel grateful today. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, JoAnn! I truly admire how you are tue to yourself and to your continual journey of self awareness. The way in which you discern how you are lead to follow new pathways that allow you to make a difference for those who cross your path is inspiring. You are very courageous! Wishing you all the best in this exciting new adventure! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m grateful to Hazelden/Betty Ford for helping you be ready for this next step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi JoAnn, I just been accepted from you as a friend on Facebook. But I see that you write on this Blog and here I am amazed reading what you write about spirituality and mecitation. I am really new to all of it. I just discovered meditation since I started BLE on July 2017 but I didn't have much success bc I wasn't do it every day but only on and off.
    Now that I am in Rezoom course and I am doing well with my food I feel the necessity to increase my meditation and spirituality. I will follow hou on your Blob and I am sure reading you post will help me to appreciate all those tools. Thank You desr to be here helping so many people and me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still doing Fellowship, thought, right? Congrats on your listening to your Life Messages! Look forward to hearing you at Second Sunday in April!

    ReplyDelete