Saturday, March 1, 2014

Happiness


I‘ve been watching Pharrell Williams’ video “Happy” a lot lately (24hoursofhappy.com).  Today I danced along with it and felt that powerful combination of endorphins and music.  The simple words of this song “happiness is the truth” lift me because they are the truth.

I may spend more time thinking about happiness and joy than most people, but I did earn the nickname “Joy Ann” growing up and believe a happy life is completely possible regardless of circumstance.  When I’m content, I’m most useful to others, which is a value I hold. As I release one addiction after the next,  the path to happiness becomes clearer and easier to walk. I’m sure age has something to do with this as well.

Today I want to feel wonderful more than I want to look wonderful. That’s a big shift. When I pay attention to what feels wonderful, I let go of the clothes, shoes, knick knacks, food, activities and ideas that are less than marvelous.  Is that too high a standard? I don’t think so given the sheer amount of things I own, activities I can participate in, and thoughts that run pass my brain.  I only want those things in my life that help me feel wonderfully connected, joyous, and alive.

Everything I’ve ever wanted in my life I thought I’d feel better if I had it.  Much of it worked only in the short run. I’m more likely to reach for an old comfort when I haven’t made the time to be still and listen to my inner guidance, which always has a creative and perfect answer for the moment. Whenever I want to feel wonderful via a binge of sugar, a shopping trip, or some other old way of getting relief, I now get to learn what truly brings a sense of well-being.  This week, when I’ve wanted a change or help making a transition, I’ve gone outside and looked at the sky, called an old friend, organized a closet, browsed in a magazine, and walked in to lecture without a note.


I’m traveling into new realms of happiness and joy, and since I’ve long thought joy is the spirit’s most efficient fuel, I’ve been productive in other ways as well. Which is a nice bonus of feeling like “a room without a roof.”

No comments:

Post a Comment